Oswald Oberhuber, born in 1931 in South Tyrol, since the 1960s has greatly influenced the Austrian art world with a remarkably diverse practice as artist, curator, gallery owner, rector of the University of Applied Arts Vienna, collector, designer, critic, theorist and editor. His artistic oeuvre spanning a period of seven decades is not determined by a particular style or language but follows a principle of permanent change. While his early works are informed by abstraction, surrealism and informalism most prominently, he likewise explores the figurative and, with a strong emphasis on lines, shows a careful and sympathetic regard of modernism. His practice includes painting, collage, assemblage, sculpture, installation and in a later period came to embrace even furniture design and fashion.
Oberhuber represented Austria at the Venice Biennale in 1972 and he took part in documeta VI (1977), VII (1982), and the São Paulo Biennale (1983). Solo shows were organised at SMAK, Ghent (1987), Museum für Moderne Kunst, Bozen (1988), Museo de Bellas Artes, Bilbao (1992), Secession, Vienna (2006), 21er Haus Vienna (2016) among many others and numerous group show participations.